Search College Recipes
Homemade Apple Chips
Apple pie and apple crisp are cherished American classics. However, if you have ever actually prepared one of these dishes yourself, then you probably know the feeling of looking down at a healthy pile of apple skins, not knowing quite what to do with them. While commonly accepted as an undesired byproduct, for some of us, throwing away food just doesn’t sit right.
Well, now there is a solution: apple chips! Apple chips can me easily made at home, are cheap, and are a huge crowd-pleaser. The chips are excellent served alongside Bacon-Wrapped Asparagus, or frankly anything savory. The are also a great alternative to regular fried potato chips for a healthy snack.
Below, I have shared my recipe for this tasty treat! Per the instructions, the chips are designed to be slightly chewy. If you prefer them more crispy, you should bake them for a shorter period of time at a higher temperature, about 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
- 2 cups apple peels or thinly cut apples
- 1 /2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Mix together bourbon and brown sugar in a medium bowl
- Stire in the apples
- Spread the covered apples evenly over a cookie sheet
- Sprinkle apples with cinnamon
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until sufficiently crisp.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, and enjoy!